PSL Fenland Weekend 2nd - 3rd August 2014

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)

Just to nudge this onto the Forums, as organised by Jon Newman:

A meeting open to all PSL members, concentrating on recording in the fens of East Anglia. The event is planned to run the weekend of 2/3 August. We have access to the fantastic Woodwalton Fen on the Saturday - this site is important botanically (Fen Ragwort, Fen Wood Rush etc), as well as for dragonflies (Scarce Chaser) and other inverts with over 1000 beetle species for starters. It is also internationally important for Chinese Water Deer. On Saturday night, we hope to run moth traps for fen specials - Marsh Carpet may be a possibility. On the Sunday, we will record at another nearby site - this may be more wetland, but there is also ancient woodland and coppice nearby.

The times are approximate until further notice.

Date: 

Saturday, August 2, 2014 - 09:00 to Sunday, August 3, 2014 - 18:00

Contact details: 

See Jonathan Newman

Hi

Would be very interested in knowing the Sunady loaction and times once available. Tied down Saturday with Herts BNA doing insects and plants at Therfield Heath but free Sunday. Will you post place and time at a later date?

William

Gibster (not verified)
Hiya William and welcome to

Hiya William and welcome to PSL, good to have you on board!

I suspect precise details will be given a bit nearer the time, so don't panic just yet. Usually this sort of thing is thrashed out via Facebook but we've a dedicated forum now so it'll be easy to keep abreast of any decisions made regarding meeting points, directions, times, car-shares, target areas/species, pub lunches, weather etc etc etc. We can also swap phone numbers/emails/whatever outside of this forum. You won't miss out :) 

Cheers,

Seth.

Sorry - I did mean to post

Sorry - I did mean to post this here. Pure lack of time on my part. Thanks Seth!

I'm still working on options for the Sunday. On Saturday, Woodwalton are keen for us to get stuck in recording and I'm meeting the site managers to discuss options there. There is a bioblitz organised at Flag Fen for the whole weekend, which we could join, but that might be a bit too structured for our tastes :D

I was thinking of sticking with the wetland theme, given that the fen habitats are so interesting. However, there is some brilliant ancient woodland locally, as well as chalk grassland etc. As soon as I know more, I will post on fb and here :)

Fenland Weekend

Thanks both. Will keep my eye out for updates.

updated now ;-)

updated now ;-)

updated now ;-)

updated now ;-)

Fenland w/e

Do you know what time you will start on the Sunday morning or is there an appropriate time to be at the entrance Sunday morning? Apologies if this is on Facebook but I really can't manage Facebook (probably old age!). W.

Hi William

Hi William

All the info is on the calendar here 

http://www.brc.ac.uk/psl/event/fenland-psl-event

Graeme

Notable spiders at the fen from the spider recording scheme
Hypomma fulvum  Na 1997
Maro sublestus  Na 1957
Synageles venator  Na 1966
Walckenaeria corniculans  Na, UKBAP 1800
Agraecina striata  Nb 1997
Crustulina sticta  Nb 1996
Gongylidiellum murcidum  Nb 1997
Philodromus praedatus  Nb 1997
Porrhomma oblitum  Nb 1997
Pardosa paludicola  RDB3 1997

Synageles particularly nice - though the pardosa if it can be found would be good - not sure about the date on the wacka! 

And..

Scarce knob-head - hypomma fulvum ;)

I won't be able to make it

I won't be able to make it until Sunday - presumably we'll be meeting at the moth traps on Sunday morning. Will somebody post up here where this will be so I can get to the right place, please?

A great couple of days in the

A great couple of days in the field at Woodwalton Fen. I'll be posting identifications on here so they can be found by everyone for years to come, NOT on the facebook page. Once I have completed all my identifcations over the next few days, I'll post a spreadsheet as an export from Recorder6 for the weekend and put it here. My first identifcation is my one and only mollusc tick of the weekend, the small brown snail from the Cladium fen was Zonitoides nitidus.